Presentation Description: This presentation will be a discussion of risk factors, warning signs, and diagnostic criteria of eating disorders specific to children and adolescents. Case examples will be utilized to guide participants through screening questions and identification of disordered eating behaviors. The presentation will also explore treatment objectives and supportive modalities and theoretical orientations in the treatment of eating disorders in children and adolescents.Presentation Objectives:
- Participants will be able to name symptomatology associated with Anorexia, Bulimia, Other Specified Feeding/Eating Disorder, and Binge Eating Disorder in children and adolescents.
- Participants will be able to articulate at least two psychological risk factors for the development of an eating disorder.
- Participants will be able to generate at least two open-ended questions to initiate conversations regarding body image.
Trauma Informed Care Infused with Deaf Culture Featured Facility: Little Creek Behavioral Health Registration Link: https://my.demio.com/ref/xtNBGP4iNLL2qqTH September 11, 2020 | 12:00EDT
Presentation Description: In today’s world, the transparency of social media has us exposed to more than ever before. This informs our culture, communication, interactions and our exposure to traumatic experiences. We are exposed through videos and photos to things that we previously read about. Our brains are dealing not only with our own but others’ traumatic experiences every day. This onslaught of exposure reminds us as professionals in mental health of the prevalence of trauma in all our lives. We are seeing increased need for Trauma Informed Care, understanding secondary exposure and its impacts on us, along with human to human connections. Through discussion of the principles in Trauma Informed Care, and by using examples from Deaf cultural experiences, we will identify strategies of how practitioners can work to incorporate cultural sensitivity into TIC, and how we can all become more open to the varied experiences of the people we work with in this field.Presentation Objectives:
- Participants will understand how common deaf cultural experiences tie into Trauma Informed Care.
- Participants will learn how they can incorporate increased cultural sensitivity into their work.